GWR 4-6-0 Castle Class 'Pendennis Castle' 4079 1:120 Scale
ST97804 new tool
No. 4079 'Pendennis Castle' was the seventh Castle Class locomotive built at the Swindon works, entering service in February 1924. A year later No. 4079 was transferred to King’s Cross to work the East Coast mainline up against the ever competitive LNER Pacifics. The trials were undertaken by British Transport Commission to identify the best qualities of the four different schools of thought of locomotive design. No. 4079 was withdrawn from main line service in May 1964 after covering an amazing 1.75 million miles.
It was then later sold in 1977 to Hamersley Iron Pty Ltd, a mining company in Western Australia. Whilst overseas 'Pendennis Castle' was briefly re-united with A3 Class locomotive 'Flying Scotsman' when it was on a tour of Australia. No. 4079 then returned to the Didcot Railway Centre in 2000 and is still currently under restoration. The model here captures ‘Pendennis Castle’ in its current livery of GWR Green. 1:120 Scale Rail legends